What is Supercar Insurance?
Sports Car or Supercar Insurance is an insurance policy designed to cover the different risks of owning and driving a high-performance car. These cars range from high to extremely high in value, and have a low volume of production. This makes it impractical to insure it at “market value” as different depreciation standards on such cars make absolute valuation difficult.
Supercar Insurance with eazy is offered on an “agreed sum insured” number, to give clarity, and peace of mind to the car owner that his/her rare collectible is adequately insured without depreciating its value during the policy period.
What differentiates a Supercar from a normal car is the performance, with many having race-worthy engines capable of far-beyond-average acceleration. Aside from performance, these cars are also classed based on their high repair cost, rarity, and brand.
A Supercar is designed with power in mind, enabling its chassis to handle high speeds or take tight corners. Luxury manufacturers such as Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, McLaren, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Maserati are well-known for producing performance cars. But even more ‘standard’ brands sometimes produce high-powered versions of their usual models. Some examples include the Mercedes AMG, BMW M, and Audi RS series.
What does Supercar Insurance cover?
In addition to the standard comprehensive coverage of Private Car Insurance, Supercar Insurance is curated to offer specialised coverage for Supercar owners.
Is Supercar Insurance expensive?
Car insurance prices usually correlate with the price of the vehicle, and sometimes can be higher than expected. The reasons for this are:
The price of the vehicle:
Supercars can cost more than half a million dollars, far beyond the average of “standard” vehicles in Singapore. This is already abnormally high from a global standpoint.
Cost of repair:
A Supercar, because of its price, has the potential to be relatively expensive to repair as it might require original parts which have to be specially imported from the manufacturer.
Some of the rarer models do not depreciate as much in value due to their rarity, with some even appreciating in value.
However, Supercar Insurance need not be expensive. Singapore has one of the highest per-capita ownership rates of Supercars in the world. This results in volume in the market, thus giving insurers more visibility in writing this risk, resulting in more reasonable premiums.
Frequently Asked Questions
About Supercar Insurance In Singapore
- Estimates for supercar insurance premiums in Singapore can be higher than normal vehicles. Your premiums may depend on your age, driving habits, No-Claim Discounts (NCDs), demerit points, vehicle make and model, etc.
- It’s not advised to purchase regular car insurance for your luxury vehicle. Supercars are incredibly valuable because car makers produce only a limited supply. Insurance policies intended for regular vehicles may not be enough for supercars due to the difference in depreciation rates. For example, if you insure your supercar with standard motor insurance, the coverage value will depreciate over time and may be lower than the vehicle’s value.
- If you’re shopping for the best sports car insurance in Singapore, a way to reduce your premiums is to ensure you have a good credit score, avoid accumulating demerit points, combine insurance policies, and meet the terms of your policy contract.
- eazy has formed an exclusive partnership with Porsche, making it easier for Porsche owners to get coverage for their beloved luxury vehicles. Since 2013, we have been providing a range of automotive insurance and other benefits to Porsche car owners, making us the top-of-mind for luxury and supercar insurance in Singapore.
Request a quote from us so we can help you find the best coverage for your porsche. An insurance broker will quickly reach out to you and help calculate motor insurance premiums based on age, vehicle make and model, demerit points, driving habits, etc.
- Yes, you can opt for valet coverage extension for your Ferrari Insurance if you have authorised the valet staff to assist in parking your car. You can even extend the coverage for drive-home services. Such coverage is strongly encouraged especially if you often attend events where alcohol consumption is involved.
- Vehicle modification is not advisable unless approved by the LTA. Insurers don’t encourage modification because it can affect your car’s safety, performance, and repair value. Some modifications may also void the manufacturer's warranty or affect the car’s resale value too, which can increase repair or replacement costs in case of loss or damage.
It is important you declare any modifications on your vehicle to your insurer or you may run the risk of your claims being repudiated. If your insurer has agreed to insure your vehicle’s modification, there will be additional cost to your premium.
While documentation requirements for Bentley insurance can vary between providers, here are the most common ones you’ll need to provide:
- Identification documents, such as your NRIC or FIN card.
- Driver's licence, which must be valid and recognized in Singapore.
- Vehicle Registration Number (also known as car plate number)
At eazy, we handle high performance vehicles everyday and we work closely with our insurers to reduce documentation requirements for the convenience of our clients.
- Yes, some insurers provide Any-Driver policy for Maserati insurance in Singapore. An Any-Driver policy allows licensed drivers to operate the insured vehicle without requiring the policyholder to specifically name them in the policy. This means anyone legally allowed to drive (including family members, employees, friends, private hire drivers, etc.) are covered. This is more commonly seen in the Saloon or SUV Maserati body type.
- McLaren Insurance typically offers higher coverage limits and additional benefits compared to standard car insurance policies. For example, McLaren Insurance may provide coverage for valet services, which may not be covered by regular car insurance policies.
- The maximum coverage amount for your Aston Martin insurance will be the vehicle’s market value or the agreed sum insured value. The maximum policy coverage can be found in your policy certificate or policy schedule. You are advised to read or speak to your insurance broker to ensure the policy coverage is sufficient for your car.
- No, car insurance policies in Singapore exclude coverage for accidents that occur while the driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.